‘Adoption’ of digital commerce is the key to unlock the $100B Bharat opportunity. Businesses who innovate for Adoption will win Bharat. In order to solve for Bharat, we need to first Understand Bharat and move beyond numbers to understand their behaviour.
Bharat is not just the rural, poor, and illiterate population. Most of our Parents, relatives, vendors, security guards and many others whom we see every day in our lives, are all Bharat users as they still prefer an offline lifestyle.
The truth is that despite huge improvement in internet penetration, Bharat is lagging behind in the internet age because of the Bharat users struggle to use digital interfaces (The Interface problem).
Using even slightly complex apps makes them feel strange, uncomfortable, and apprehensive. They are constantly afraid: “what if something goes wrong?”
To overcome this digital barrier, Bharat users simply need someone who can handhold them through their digital journey. A humanised and assisted experience of the digital world. A digital hand-holding of sorts to help them navigate through seemingly complex app interfaces. But how can we provide digital handholding to millions of users in a way which is both effective and feasible?
What if the interface itself could handhold novice digital users and help them navigate through the digital world?
Introducing Assistive User Interfaces (AUIs)
Introducing a new class of interfaces: Assistive User Interfaces (AUIs)
Assistive UIs assist the users in interacting with the system (apps) at every step.
In normal GUIs (Graphical UIs), the interaction of the user with the system (apps) is unassisted, which means that all the interactions are supposed to be figured out by the users themselves which requires users to think and hence increase the cognitive load. Whereas in Assistive UIs, all these interactions are assisted by the UI itself. They act similar to the turn by turn navigation of Google Maps but do it for the apps.
Assistive UIs are the simplest digital interface possible
Core features of Assistive UIs
- On-Screen: The assistance is a part of the UI itself. Most apps would provide guidance to their users for easy learning through a tutorial or a help centre or FAQs. This means that a user needs to switch between the App UI and the guidance material to continue down the journey. But with Assistive UI, the guidance is provided right over the UI elements and a user can seamlessly interact without switching apps.
- Hyper Contextual: Just like how Google maps is aware of your Location through GPS automatically and provides an accurate guidance, the AssistiveUIs are also aware of contexts on screen. AssistiveUIs know where a user is in the app and accordingly provides the right guidance at the right time.
- Continuous: AssistiveUIs assist users at each step of their journey until the completion of the task. For an example: Selecting a shirt on amazon app, adding it to the cart, checking out via payment gateway, it guides you through the entire process
Bharat needs: Vernacular Audio
Bharat has its own unique needs, hence the solution needs to be specific too. The two key behavioural traits of Bharat users are:
- They prefer audio-visual over the textual form of information
- 9 out of 10 Bharat users are local language internet users who are only comfortable in their local language for consuming information.
Hence, the form of information which is most natural and easiest to understand for Bharat users is vernacular audio. In order to make digital interactions natural and comfortable to the Bharat users, vernacular audio has to be a core part of the Assistive Interface.
Assistive UIs | The definitive interface for the next billion users
In India alone there are more than 300M people in 2018, who are yet to adopt digital lifestyle (non- transacting users), despite having cheap internet access. Globally, there are more than 2 Billion such people who haven’t adopted digital lifestyle. In the next decade, there would be additional 1 Billion plus others who would come online for the very first time. How will they adopt digital lifestyle and become consumers given the adoption barrier of digital Interfaces? Without any intervention, they might take a long time to become comfortable with the digital world. How do we accelerate this transition
Assistive UIs, being the most human and natural way of digital hand-holding, is the answer to solving digital adoption for the next billion internet users.
Are you looking to scale your business in the Bharat user segment? Let Jiny help you do that. Schedule a call today.